Many people connect spirituality to religion, but they are not the same thing. With spirituality, you can gain strength through difficult times and connect with others. Connecting spirituality with your health can be very beneficial. At Lehigh Valley Health Network, we offer spiritual support and guidance if you need it through our pastoral care department. A chaplain can help you and your family identify the sources of your fears and find strength through your faith, other meaningful value systems or spiritual resources from the community.
You may want to call pastoral care when:
- You’re anxious or fearful of surgery, therapy or medical procedures.
- You need comfort.
- You don’t respond to medical treatment.
- You or your family has major health care and treatment decisions to make.
- Your way of life must change following an illness.
- You have a long-term illness.
- You or your loved one is dying.
- You or a loved one is admitted in a traumatic or emergency situation.
- Your loved one has died.
- It’s time for you or your family to consider organ or tissue donation.
If you would like to speak with a chaplain, please call the paging operator at 610-402-8999 and ask for the chaplain on call. You also can ask your nurse to page us.
Chapels and spiritual services
We offer a quiet place to meditate or pray at each of our sites. Chapels also can be used for worship services or small group gatherings. You may add people to the prayer list kept in the prayer book at each chapel.
- Lehigh Valley Hospital—Cedar Crest, chapel, first floor
- Cancer Center at Lehigh Valley Hospital—Cedar Crest, meditation room, first floor
- Lehigh Valley Hospital—17th Street, meditation room, directly across from the blue elevators
- Lehigh Valley Hospital—Muhlenberg, Banko Gallo Racz Memorial Chapel, first floor
- Lehigh Valley Hospital—Muhlenberg, meditation room, South tower, third floor
- Catholic masses take place in the chapel at Lehigh Valley Hospital–Cedar Crest at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesdays and holy days.
- Nondenominational memorial services take place on the third Monday every other month. Family members and caregivers of patients who have died are welcome to attend this service.
- Services for spiritual renewal and special occasions are available upon request.