Why Choose Us for Diabetes Education
Our knowledgeable, caring staff is one reason we’re accredited by the American Association of Diabetes Educators.
Our Helwig Health and Diabetes Center is recognized by the American Diabetes Association as a provider of Quality Self-Management Education.
We offer high-quality diabetes care and education by some of the nation’s top physicians who are experts in diabetes care (endocrinologists). Our team also includes certified diabetes nurse educators and registered dietitians who can help you master your medication, insulin, diet and lifestyle to help prevent complications and live a normal life.
- Diabetes education – We provide education in small groups so you can learn to manage your diabetes in a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere. Our diabetes specialists discuss topics such as:
- What is diabetes?
- Meal planning and diabetes
- Meter use and blood glucose monitoring
- Exercise and diabetes
- Diabetes medications and insulin
- High blood glucose and sick day management
- Coping with diabetes
- Diabetic complications
- Foot care
- Cardiovascular health and diabetes
- Insulin pump program – We offer the largest and most complete insulin pump program in the region. Whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, you can:
- Attend information sessions to discuss pump therapy, gain insight into whether pump therapy may be right for you and see equipment options that can help in choosing a pump.
- Learn the skills you need for successful insulin therapy, such as carbohydrate counting and insulin adjustment.
- Receive hands-on training on how to use insulin pumps.
- Diabetes camp for kids – We help children with type 1 diabetes find the answers to their questions about managing this serious disease. And we do it in a fun, game-based environment that lets children be children. Learn more about Camp Red Jacket.