It's likely you will have several appointments with one or more specialists during your recovery from most conditions related to men's health. The following information will help you know what to expect at an initial appointment:
What to bring
- Photo ID
- Insurance card
- List of current medications and any drug allergies
- Copies of lab reports, X-rays or other tests you may have had related to the condition
- Health questionnaire – A health questionnaire currently is sent to patients to complete in advance of the first appointment regarding most men's health conditions. If the turnaround time from appointment scheduling to actual appointment does not permit mailing, you may be asked to arrive early to complete this information at the time of your visit.
What to expect during the appointment
- A physical examination is likely.
- Patients should always attend appointments with a full bladder so urine can be obtained for a culture. Otherwise a test is needed to see how well a patient is urinating.
- For some conditions, you may meet with a team of practitioners who will guide you through the options available and recommend the best course of care.
- You will leave your appointment with the next steps finalized.
Questions you may want to ask your doctor
Make a list of as many questions as possible before your initial appointment. Don't hold back; the physician is there to make sure you are completely informed and are aware of all available options.