Lehigh Valley Reilly Children’s Hospital has the region’s only 24/7 emergency room dedicated to children. Located at Lehigh Valley Hospital–Cedar Crest and built just for kids, the new 27-bed Breidegam Family Children’s ER is staffed by board-certified pediatric emergency medicine physicians who skillfully and compassionately care for ill and injured kids.
Highly trained staff provide emergency care for kids
The Breidegam Family Children’s ER is run by board-certified pediatric emergency physicians. They are supported by:
- Advanced practice clinicians who are experienced in caring for kids
- A nursing team specially trained in pediatric emergency nursing
- Pediatric pharmacists for accurate medication dosing
- Child-life specialists who make the hospital experience less stressful for children
- Pediatric respiratory therapists to treat airway problems
Children’s ER focused on comfort
A visit to the emergency room can be stressful for children. That’s why we designed the Breidegam Family Children’s ER to help ease anxiety with:
- A dedicated entrance and waiting room so anxious kids won’t have to see sick or injured adults
- Fast-track area so kids get the care they need quickly
- Behavioral health rooms designed to keep kids safe
- Child-friendly designs for kids of all ages – newborn to teens
- Sensory friendly spaces
- Spacious waiting room with a play area and café
- Pain management options like “laughing gas” (nitrous oxide), which has a calming effect
When your child does not require a hospital stay, but may need additional care, Breidegam Family Children’s ER houses a 12-bed observation unit built just for kids.
Trauma or burn care
The Mattioli Trauma Center at Lehigh Valley Hospital–Cedar Crest is a Level II Pediatric Trauma Center. It offers the highest level of trauma care for children in the region.
Care is delivered by an experienced, collaborative team that includes:
- Trauma surgeons
- Pediatric intensivists and hospitalists
- Pediatric surgeons
- Specially trained trauma nurses
Our Regional Burn Center has received pediatric verification by the American Burn Association. Our dedicated burn team responds immediately to improve outcomes and decrease a child’s burn-related pain. For children who suffer a burn injury that doesn’t require hospitalization, they may receive care at the Walter J. and June H. Okunski Burn Recovery Center.
Rapid transportation to the Children’s ER
When your child has an injury or illness that requires emergency care, they may be transported to the Breidegam Family Children’s ER by ambulance or helicopter. Our MedEvac transportation team is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week by paramedics and registered nurses with education and experience in providing pediatric critical care.
The health and safety of your child is of the utmost importance. That’s why we’ve designed a sophisticated MedEvac transport service where team members can administer medication and perform procedures that typical emergency medical service crews cannot.