Diabetes Self-Management Education Program at Lehigh Valley Hospital–Pocono
Our American Diabetes Association-certified program provides individuals with resources and education close to home.
The Diabetes Self-Management Program at Lehigh Valley Hospital–Pocono provides diabetes self-management education to individuals with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Located on East Brown Street in East Stroudsburg, Pa., we are here to help you with the everyday challenges that come with your diagnosis.
- Virtual group education classes (a series of five 90-minute classes)
- Individual in-person sessions with our diabetes educators, covering:
- An overview of type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- Continuous glucose monitor (CGM) application, training and data assessment
- Caregiver insulin training
- Nutritional counseling
- An overview of diabetes technology, including insulin pens and glucometers
- Lifestyle modifications
- Healthy eating
- Staying active
- Coping with diabetes
- Risk reduction
- Medication management
Insurance coverage for diabetes education and nutrition education varies. Medicare Part B, most commercial insurances and medical assistance plans recognize the value of diabetes education and provide some coverage. It is best to check with your insurance providers for specific information about your benefits. Many managed care plans require pre-authorization, which you must obtain from your primary care physician prior to attending. Access to care is not denied due to inability to pay for services.
A clinician referral is needed for all services provided through our program. Once we receive the referral from your clinician, we will contact you by mail or phone to schedule your virtual group or individual in-person sessions.