Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS)
At Lehigh Valley Health Network (LVHN), our team of medical professionals is committed to making your surgical experience as successful as possible. Our Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) program provides detailed information so you know what to expect before, during and after surgery.
ERAS is designed to help you return to health faster. Your personalized ERAS plan will outline your care every step of the way, so you can stay informed and engaged throughout your surgical journey.
Your ERAS team
Your ERAS team includes physicians, anesthesiologists, surgical and specialty trained nurses and other health care professionals. By closely following your personalized ERAS plan, you can help accelerate your recovery.
It's normal to feel anxious in the days before surgery. An ERAS nurse educator will answer any questions you and your family members may have and give you a booklet outlining the preoperative and post-operative steps you need to take to speed your healing. Your enhanced recovery plan includes:
- A checklist of things you must do before surgery
- Your anesthesia and pain management plan
- What your medical team will do during surgery
- Things you must do after surgery
- The date of your post-surgery office visit
Remember to talk to your loved ones about your surgery so they can help support you during the recovery process.
Return to your life faster
Having surgery interrupts your life and ability to work. ERAS improves recovery time so you can get back to your life faster by closely monitoring your anesthetic gases, intravenous fluids and narcotics during surgery that may cause post-operative pain and nausea. Leading health care organizations worldwide are using ERAS to improve the patient experience through:
- Proven pain management protocols
- Faster healing
- Fewer side effects including nausea and vomiting
- Faster return to mobility and regular diet
- Shorter hospital stays
- Faster return to daily activities
- Reduced complications and readmission rates