With a rich, 31-year history, Lehigh Valley Health Network is accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education Inc. to conduct all levels of clinical pastoral education (CPE). Our mission through CPE is to form, educate and mentor individuals seeking to become professional chaplains as competent, compassionate spiritual caregivers in a diverse health care environment. Integrated into the interdisciplinary treatment teams throughout a premier three-campus community teaching hospital, our clinical pastoral education students are engaged in a curriculum that incorporates clinical experiences, theological reflection and peer group interaction. In a supervised and mentored environment students/residents work toward professional competence and personal awareness.
Opportunities for students include clinical experiences in a Level I Trauma Center, emergency medicine, regional burn center, state-of-the-art critical care units, heart centers, cancer centers, pediatric services, maternal and perinatal services, hospice, behavioral health and medical-surgical units.
In our programs we endeavor to provide:
- the formation of pastoral and professional identity
- the art of spiritual caregiving
- for the clarification and discernment of the student’s vocation
- a culturally diverse learning environment
- education through an experiential process method integrating theory and practice
- opportunities for individuals to work toward board-certified chaplain qualifications
- encourage critical thinking skills and integration for spiritual care ministry and pastoraltheology
We offer Level I, Level II and Supervisory Education programs. Level I programs are available for students wanting to complete a seminary requirement, qualified individuals interested in exploring hospital visitation or are preparing for a resident program. These programs are either an intensive summer or a part-time extended unit. A yearlong resident program encompasses standards of Levels I and II. For those qualified individuals desiring to teach CPE, supervisory education is available. Participants in CPE programs are guided by outcomes set by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, as well as their individual learning covenants.