Middle School Health Programs
Program Delivery Options
If schools are open to visitors, the team from Weller Health Education will present health education programs to students in the classroom for no fee. The team will wear masks and will follow all required safety protocol.
Weller Health Education staff offer live, virtual health education programs using video conferencing for no fee. This method of program delivery allows the team to reach students in the classroom as well as those working remotely and gives students additional synchronous instruction time.
All Weller Health Education program topics are available in 12-15 minute modules for educators to use with students remotely for no fee. Each lesson includes a "show what you know" worksheet. All video modules can be accessed through our Asynchronous Video Library.
Click on a program title to learn more.
- Relationships 101
- Relationships 201
- STI Health and Prevention
- Stress Less
- Science Behind Addiction
- The Vaping Epidemic
Students learn the six key elements of establishing healthy relationships, explore respect, values and boundaries and practice healthy ways to handle conflict.
- Define a relationship
- Identify characteristics of healthy relationships
- Practice healthy communication skills
- Demonstrate assertive communication and healthy conflict resolution skills
This program helps students work through some of the challenging aspects of their relationships. Students will learn how to deal with unhealthy relationships, recognize when it is time to break up and how to do so respectfully and identify red flags of an abusive relationship.
- Identify aspects of maturity which may impact an intimate relationship
- Define relationship abuse and describe consequences of abusive relationships
- Demonstrate assertive and effective communication skills
- List resources available for adolescents in unhealthy relationships
A straightforward and honest presentation about the choices students make regarding sexual contact. Sexually-transmitted infections (STI's) and other consequences are discussed.
- Explain how the most common STIs are transmitted
- Learn ways to decrease the spread of STIs by not having sex, by using condoms consistently and correctly, and by not touching blood or used hypodermic needles
Students explore the science behind stress and anxiety, the concept of resilience and identify/practice healthy coping skills.
- Explain causes and effects of stress and anxiety
- Explain positive and negative ways of dealing with stress and anxiety
- Define resilience and learn techniques for building resilience
- Practice mindfulness techniques
- Identify resources that students can use when they need help
- Apply strategies to improve or maintain positive mental and emotional health
This program dispels common myths and perceptions about how drugs affect the body with a focus on how the human body builds a tolerance to certain chemicals that can lead to addiction. The specific dangers of prescription drug misuse and abuse are emphasized.
- Discuss potential risks associated with inappropriate use of over-the-counter/prescription medications
- Describe the difference between medicines and illicit drugs
- Identify types of illicit drugs and strategies to avoid them
This program educates students on the facts and myths about vaping and the adverse health effects.
- Discuss types/brands of electronic cigarettes
- Review the effects of vaping
- Discuss stages of addiction and nicotine withdrawal