Apple Coffee Cake
Vegetable oil spray
1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1 1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbsp. light margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg white, beaten until frothy
1/4 cup light vegetable oil
3/4 cup skim milk
1 Granny Smith apple, grated
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9-x-9-x-2-inch square pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Mix together brown sugar, oatmeal, 1 1/2 Tbsp. flour and 1 tsp. cinnamon.
- Add melted margarine to form crumb topping. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together remaining flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg white, oil, milk, apple and vanilla.
- Mix until well blended. Add to dry ingredients.
- Stir lightly, just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle topping over cake and bake 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cut into 9 squares and serve hot.
Calories per serving: 247
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Total fat: 8 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 4 g
Monounsaturated fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 122 mg
Courtesy of American Heart Association Cookbook