1 (8-pound) smoked, fully cooked ham half
2 tsp whole cloves
2 cups apple or pineapple juice, divided
3 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Place ham in a large stockpot.
- Add water to 2 inches above ham; cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Drain; rinse well with warm water.
- Drain again. (Soaking the ham draws out some of the sodium.)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Trim off the fat and rind.
- Score outside of ham in a diamond pattern; stick cloves in the intersections of the score lines.
- Place ham, skin side down, on the rack of a broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
- Place rack in a roasting pan.
- Pour 1 cup juice over ham and cover ham loosely with foil.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours, basting occasionally with remaining juice.
- Remove ham from oven, but do not turn the oven off.
- Uncover ham. Combine brown sugar and mustard and brush over ham.
- Return to the oven and bake uncovered for 30 more minutes or until a thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 140°.
- Place ham on a cutting board; cover and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
26 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces)
Calories—130 (44% from fat)
Fat—6.3 grams (saturated 2.1, monounsaturated 3, polyunsaturated 0.7)