½ cup diced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup vegetable broth
½ cup diced mushrooms
2 cups thawed and squeezed-dry frozen chopped broccoli or 2 cups well-drained chopped cooked fresh broccoli
1 cup non-fat cottage cheese
½ cup liquid egg substitute
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons grated non-fat mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg
8 manicotti shells (half a 9-ounce package)
1 cup non-fat marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small skillet, combine onion, garlic and broth.
- Bring to a simmer, covered, over moderate heat and simmer until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook, uncovered, until mushrooms are tender and their liquid has evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Let cool.
- In a bowl, combine mushroom mixture with broccoli, cottage cheese, egg substitute, ¼ cup mozzarella, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Stir well.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add manicotti shells and cook according to package directions until half-done.
- Divide filling among manicotti shells and place in an 8-inch by 12-inch baking dish, either nonstick or lightly sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Cover shells evenly with marinara sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake until hot throughout, about 30 minutes.
Serving size: 2 filled pasta shells
Fat: 0.5 g
Cholesterol: 2.9 mg
Carbohydrate: 33.0 g
Protein: 20.0 g
Sodium: 262.0 mg