2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 pounds chicken
4 tablespoons Colombo powder (see Note below)
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups peeled and chopped onions
1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
2 tablespoons chopped chives
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon chopped Scotch Bonnet pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
1 cup peeled and chopped bananas
1/2 cup shelled pistachios (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and butter.
- Stir in the chicken and Colombo powder.
- Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes until brown.
- Add the chicken broth, onions, 1/2 can of coconut milk, garlic, lime juice, thyme, chives, parsley, Scotch Bonnet pepper, salt and pepper.
- Simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the remaining coconut milk, the bananas and pistachios.
Colombo powder (also called French West Indies curry powder) is a mixture of cumin, coriander, brown mustard, Malabar black pepper, cloves, fenugreek and turmeric. Check gourmet shops and ethnic sections of your market.