Herbed Veggie Burgers
Vegetable cooking spray
3/4 cup finely chopped broccoflower florets
3/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves (divided)
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2/3 cup cooked wild or brown rice
1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/2 cup shredded fat-free Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1 egg white
1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
4 multigrain or whole-wheat buns, toasted
- Spray medium skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot.
- Sauté broccoflower, mushrooms, onion and garlic until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add ½ teaspoon basil, marjoram and thyme and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Stir rice, oats and cheeses into vegetable mixture; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in egg white. Form mixture into 4 burgers.
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot.
- Add burgers and cook over medium to medium-low heat until browned on the bottoms, 3-4 minutes.
- Spray tops of burgers with cooking spray and turn; cook until browned on other side, 3-4 minutes.
- Mix mayonnaise and remaining 1 teaspoon basil and use as a spread on the buns.
Fat: 1.5 grams
Cholesterol: 5 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 21 grams
Protein: 12 grams
Sodium: 440 milligrams