1-1/2 cups whole-wheat bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
3 cloves finely minced garlic
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup each minced fresh basil and flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound fat-free ground turkey or extra-lean ground beef
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups tomato sauce (homemade or store-bought, low-sodium)
8 small whole-wheat rolls or buns (2-inch diameter)
- Place the bread crumbs and milk in a medium-size bowl.
- Stir and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Add the egg, garlic, Parmesan and spices, and stir again.
- Add the ground meat and use your hands to combine the mixture. Don’t over-mix.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a baking pan or heavy ovenproof skillet, and set aside.
- To make the meatballs, fill a 1/3-cup dry measuring cup to the brim, remove and shape into a ball.
- Place meatballs on the pan, making sure they don’t touch.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Pour the marinara sauce over the meatballs.
- Continue baking for another 45 minutes.
- Remove the pan and let the meatballs cool for 5-10 minutes.
- To serve, place one meatball on the bottom half of a roll and top with a dollop of sauce.
- Cover with the top of the roll.
Nutritional Information: Per slider: 281 calories; 9 g fat (3 g saturated); 24 g protein; 56 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 2 g fiber; 567 mg sodium