Braised Kale With Bacon and Cider
2 turkey bacon slices
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1 (1-pound) bag chopped kale (this will wilt down to a more manageable amount as it cooks)
1/3 cup apple cider
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups diced Granny Smith apple (about 10 ounces)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Place a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add bacon; cook 5 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bacon from pan, leaving 1 teaspoon of the drippings in pan.
- Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Increase heat to medium-high.
- Add onion to pan and saute 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add kale and cook 5 minutes until wilted, stirring frequently.
- Add cider and vinegar; cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add apple, salt and pepper; cook 5 minutes or until apple is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with bacon.
Makes 6 servings—2/3 cup each
75 calories per serving