Cauliflower with Ginger
1 small head cauliflower, chopped into 1 to 11/2” florets
(about 4 cups)
1/4 cup hot water
1 tbsp. mild vegetable oil, such as canola
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
2 tbsp. fresh ginger root, minced
1/2 tsp. turmeric
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Have chopped cauliflower, hot water, oil and spices all ready at the stove.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat about 30 seconds; pour in the oil and heat another 30 seconds.
- Add cumin and sauté until the seeds turn dark brown, about 10-20 seconds.
- Add ginger and stir briefly.
- Add turmeric and stir to mix, then immediately add cauliflower and stir again to distribute spices.
- Add hot water, reduce heat, cover and cook until the cauliflower is crisp-tender (about 20 minutes).
- Stir gently once part way through cooking.
- When cauliflower is almost ready, remove cover, increase heat to medium and gently stir-fry to evaporate any moisture and lightly brown cauliflower (about 5-10 minutes).
- Add lemon juice and chopped coriander, toss lightly and serve promptly.
Serves 4, with 58 calories and 4 grams fat per serving. Good source of vitamin C, folate and potassium.