Hearty Homemade Tomato Soup
8 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 2 cans (28 oz) peeled, whole tomatoes
1 sliced onion
4 whole cloves
4 cups chicken broth
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1-2 tsp salt
2-3 Tbsp fresh chopped basil
1/2 tsp sugar, or to taste (Optional)
1 cup light cream
- In a stockpot over medium heat, combine tomatoes, onion, cloves and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, and gently boil for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and run mixture through a blender.
- Empty into a large bowl or pan, cool slightly and add basil.
- In the (now empty) stockpot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is a medium brown.
- Gradually whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest.
- Season with sugar and salt, to taste.
- To make mixture creamier, add 1 cup light cream.