Children's ER at Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest
We can help you find the right doctor, or answer any questions you may have.
- Mattioli Trauma Center
- Cedar Crest Boulevard and Interstate 78
- Allentown, PA 18105 (get directions)
The Children’s ER at the Lehigh Valley Health Network-Cedar Crest campus treats about 20,000 children per year. This 12-bed facility is the only acute care facility within a 60-mile radius of our region that is designated for children.Our Services
The Children’s ER staff consists of board-certified pediatric emergency physicians and emergency physicians. In addition, we staff advanced practice clinicians experienced in pediatric care. The ER’s nursing staff is specially trained in pediatric emergency nursing. Pediatric pharmacists are available in the ER for medication dosing. Child life specialists work hands-on to make the hospital experience less stressful. Books, iPADs and age-appropriate activities are available for patients and families in each one of our private exam rooms. Learn more about our emergency care services.
The Children’s ER is designed to help children feel comfortable. A visit to the hospital is stressful for all people, especially children. That’s why the Children’s ER has these tools to help children feel calm:
- A dedicated waiting room to eliminate the anxiety children may feel seeing sick or injured adults
- Pain management methods such as creams that numb the site of a needle stick and the availability of “laughing gas” (nitrous oxide)
- Distraction techniques that use bubbles, music, movies or sugar-coated pacifiers to manage anxiety
- Interactive video displays on the walls and floors of the waiting room and treatment areas that help keep children distracted
- Fun decor, including a 7-foot-tall Ferris wheel made of K’Nex building blocks that was generously donated by Brian and Nellie Fais, the former owners of Toy Magic in Bethlehem, Pa.
The Children’s ER will create even shorter wait times in our current ER. Because children receive care in their own department, we’ll be able to care for more adults.