Cardiac Care Team

As a patient of Lehigh Valley Heart Institute, you will likely see many caregivers. These health care professionals work together to ensure you receive the best possible care.

Many physicians have earned board certification, which indicates that she or he has completed additional education and passed an examination to earn this credential. If one of your caregivers is fellowship-trained, the physician has had additional training in a particular area.

Your cardiac care team will include one or more of the following:

Advanced heart failure and transplant cardiologist. These physicians specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of advanced heart failure. They determine if a patient is a candidate for heart transplant surgery or a ventricular assist device.

Electrophysiologist. These cardiologists specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of abnormal heart rhythms. You may see electrophysiologists in the doctor’s office or in the hospital.

Interventional cardiologist. These physicians specialize in surgical or invasive procedures to diagnose and treat heart disease, such as cardiac catheterization and angioplasty.

Medical cardiologist. These physicians specialize in finding, treating and preventing diseases of the heart and blood vessels. You may see a medical cardiologist in the doctor’s office or in the hospital.

Cardiothoracic surgeon. These surgeons perform operations on the heart, lungs, blood vessels and organs in the chest. They perform heart bypass surgery, repair or replace heart valves, repair aortic aneurysms, place ventricular assist devices for patients with heart failure and more.

Respiratory therapist. These health care professionals direct and manage your breathing (respiratory) and lung (pulmonary) care. A big part of their job is educating you. They might give you information and tools to manage your asthma or suggest ways to stop smoking.

Physical therapist. Physical therapists determine if you need therapy while in the hospital and, if so, will start you on a program. They also recommend additional therapy at a rehabilitation center or skilled nursing facility if needed.

Occupational therapist. An occupational therapist will help you overcome physical, developmental or emotional disabilities so you can lead an independent, productive and satisfying life. Occupational therapists may recommend changes in the layout and design of your home or workplace to give you better access and mobility.