Medical Students and Physician Assistant Students
The physicians and staff of Lehigh Valley Health Network have a long-standing commitment to excellence in medical education. SELECT medical education program, created by the University of South Florida (USF) Morsani College of Medicine and Lehigh Valley Health Network, is preparing students to take a leadership role in the accelerating pace of change in health care.
SELECT stands for Scholarly Excellence, Leadership Experiences and Collaborative Training. Students in the program spend their first two years learning in a highly progressive, student-centered medical school, the USF Morsani College of Medicine in Tampa, Fla. They then spend their final two years learning inside our technologically advanced health network, which is recognized nationally for quality, safety and collaborative care. The program strives to create an atmosphere where learning will flourish.
Lehigh Valley Health Network also offers electives for fourth-year medical students from LCME- and AOA-accredited medical schools.
Fourth-year medical students
LVHN offers elective rotations to fourth-year medical students from LCME- and AOA-accredited medical schools in the U.S., Puerto Rico and Canada. Students must apply through the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) website. Students will receive an email notification with the department’s decision in approximately four weeks of applying.
- View our 2022-2023 calendar and elective options. For further details, please visit our catalog on the VSLO website: Visiting Student Learning Opportunities | AAMC.
- Please visit the LVHN Institution Profile page in VSLO for other information, such as updates on Covid-19 requirements and important dates for submitting applications.
- There is a $50 VSLO processing fee for each accepted rotation. The payment link is provided in the offer letter. (You can also make your initial request for housing on this form.)
- Personal transportation is required for all rotations.
- We offer low-cost housing in the Allentown area: about 3 miles from LVH-Cedar Crest and 9 miles from LVH-Muhlenberg.
LVHN Anderson Visiting Medical Education Scholarship
Through grant funds made available via The Health Care Trust of Anne Constance and Carl Robert Anderson, and with the support of clinical department and education leadership, Lehigh Valley Health Network (LVHN) is pleased to offer a limited number of scholarships to visiting medical students who represent groups historically underrepresented in medicine.
Physician assistant students
LVHN requires affiliation agreements with all participating schools. Please check with your school coordinator to verify whether a current agreement exists with LVHN. Requests from other schools may be considered; however, LVHN is not entering into any new affiliation agreements at this time. LVHN will only process one elective rotation request per physician assistant student per academic year.
All rotation requests will be processed through the CastleBranch Bridges portal. Student onboarding requirements will also be completed within that system.
For more information about onboarding requirements, please visit New Student Requirements.