When a patient needs critical care transportation, Lehigh Valley Health Network (LVHN)-MedEvac provides it by air or by ground. LVHN-MedEvac provides 24/7 operation of four critical care helicopters and two critical care ambulances. Staffed by LVHN clinicians, LVHN-MedEvac brings high-quality care to seriously ill or injured patients throughout the region.
Ride Along Program
The Ride Along Program allows qualifying health care professionals and other public safety personnel to accompany the LVHN–MedEvac team on live missions. The observer gains a better understanding of and appreciation for the responsibilities associated with our operations. Our goal is to foster co-operative relationships with our referring health care and public safety partners.
Continuing Education Credits have been approved by the Eastern Pennsylvania EMS Council.
The program provides firsthand knowledge of all aspects of the air and ground medical transport including:
- Mission readiness
- Pre-dispatch patient assessment and preparation
- On-scene and inter-facility transport of critically ill or injured patients
- In-transit environment and limitation
- Patient perceptions during the transport
- Aircraft and ambulance operational and safety procedures
- Be age 18 or older, 200 pounds or less, in good physical condition and not pregnant
- Have three years of experience in their field
- Be one of the following:
- EMT or paramedic
- Pre-hospital registered nurse (PHRN)
- Emergency dispatcher
- Fire department line officer
- ED or critical care RN
You will be scheduled for your observer date by a member of our flight crew. They will provide all the information you will need for that day. Dress code for flight observers is “business casual” to include khaki or dark pants, weather-appropriate shirt, close-toed sturdy shoes.
When you arrive at the base for your flight observation, you will be briefed on MedEvac policies and procedures and receive instruction on aircraft operations and safety procedures.
Participants are selected on a first-come, first-served basis. To participate in our flight observer program, please complete this form.