The Children’s ER provides specialized emergency care that meets the unique needs of children. Designed with kids in mind, the Children’s ER has engaging décor, including a 7-foot-tall Ferris wheel made of K’NEX® building blocks.
Because we focus only on children, we are able to offer shorter wait times to the nearly 20,000 children we treat each year. We prioritize care based on the seriousness of each child’s condition.
The Mattioli Emergency Center at Lehigh Valley Hospital–Pocono also has a dedicated Children’s ER staffed by board-certified pediatricians specializing in emergency medicine.
Highly trained staff provide emergency care for kids
The Children’s ER is run by board-certified pediatric emergency physicians. They are supported by:
- Advanced practice clinicians who are experienced in caring for kids
- A nursing team specially trained in pediatric emergency nursing
- Pediatric pharmacists for accurate medication dosing
- Child-life specialists who make the hospital experience less stressful for children
- Pediatric respiratory therapists to treat airway problems
Children’s ER focused on comfort
A visit to the emergency room can be stressful for children. That’s why we designed the Children’s ER to help ease anxiety with:
- A dedicated waiting room so anxious kids won’t have to see sick or injured adults
- Interactive video displays on the walls and floors of the waiting room and treatment areas to help distract children
- Pain management options including creams to numb the area before a needle stick and “laughing gas” (nitrous oxide), which has a calming effect
- Distraction techniques including bubbles, music, movies, sugar-coated pacifiers, books and iPads®
We coordinate trauma and burn care
If your child is in need of more serious care, we provide easy access to pediatric trauma or burn care.
The Mattioli Trauma Center at Lehigh Valley Hospital–Cedar Crest is a Level II Pediatric Trauma Center. It offers the highest level of trauma care for children in the region.
Care is delivered by an experienced, collaborative team that includes:
- Trauma surgeons
- Pediatric intensivists and hospitalists
- Pediatric surgeons
- Specially trained trauma nurses
Our Regional Burn Center has received pediatric verification by the American Burn Association. Our dedicated burn team responds immediately to improve outcomes and decrease a child’s burn-related pain. For children who suffer a burn injury that doesn’t require hospitalization, they may receive care at the Walter J. and June H. Okunski Burn Recovery Center.
Rapid transportation to the Children’s ER
When your child has an injury or illness that requires emergency care, they may be transported to the Children’s ER by ambulance or helicopter. Our MedEvac transportation team is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week by paramedics and registered nurses with education and experience in providing pediatric critical care.
The health and safety of your child is of the utmost importance. That’s why we’ve designed a sophisticated MedEvac transport service where team members can administer medication and perform procedures that typical emergency medical service crews cannot.