With Monday’s announcement that Lehigh Valley Health Network (LVHN) would offer third doses of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna) to immunocompromised people, many have already requested (and received) the third dose.
Here’s a quick recap about who can receive a third dose of a COVID-19 mRNA vaccine, how and where you get one:
Who is currently eligible for a third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine?
A third COVID-19 vaccine shot is currently available to people whose immunity is moderately or severely weakened by certain health conditions or medications, including:
- Recipients of organ or stem cell transplants
- People with advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active recipients of treatment for cancer
- People taking some medications that weaken the immune system
More information about who is considered immunocompromised can be found on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) website: CDC.gov.
While proof of an immunocompromised medical condition is not required to get a third COVID-19 vaccine shot, LVHN will require those requesting the shot to attest they meet the criteria for being immunocompromised.
How do I get a third dose of the mRNA vaccine (Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna)?
You can schedule an appointment or walk into an LVHN COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic.
Schedule an appointment through one of these ways:
- MyLVHN – Go to MyLVHN.org or use the MyLVHN app. Click on “Menu” and then select “COVID-19 Vaccine 3rd Dose Scheduling.”
- LVHN.org/appointments– After checking the box that you agree to the guidelines, click “Make an Appointment” and you can choose the location and a day and time for your appointment.
- Call 833-584-6283 – LVHN’s COVID-19 Vaccine Hotline is open Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Where will I get my third shot?
COVID-19 vaccinations are provided at the following locations only. Please note: Your first two shots may have occurred in an LVHN location that no longer offers COVID-19 vaccinations.
You can schedule an appointment (as described above) or walk into the following vaccine clinic locations. Please visit the linked location pages in this list to see the days and times the clinics are open:
For more information about third dose vaccines for immunocompromised individuals, visit LVHN.org/thirdshot.