Hearing loss in children can be caused by many conditions and factors. With proper evaluation and treatment, this condition can be properly managed so children can continue meeting their developmental milestones.
The symptoms of hearing loss vary by child, but there are some common signs to look out for:
- Not being startled by loud noises
- Not turning to the source of a sound after 6 months of age
- Not saying single words or imitating sounds by 1 year of age
- Not turning their head to see you if you call their name
- Seeming to hear some sounds but not others
- Delayed speech
- Not speaking clearly
- Not following directions
- Wanting to listen to music or electronic devices at a loud volume
- Not paying attention to conversations
- Not responding to their name being called
- Often saying “Huh?”
Treatment options and expertise at Lehigh Valley Reilly Children’s Hospital
At your appointment with us, your child will be tested by one of the region’s top audiologists to determine if hearing loss exists, how significant it is and what type of treatment is warranted.
Your child will be closely evaluated, and all possible treatment options will be discussed in detail with you. For advanced cases, our specialized pediatric otolaryngologists may perform surgical procedures to correct or improve certain causes of more severe hearing loss. In less severe cases, our audiologist will recommend a device that can assist with improving your child’s hearing.
Some options include:
- Cochlear implant: This is a small electronic device surgically implanted into the inner ear to address severe hearing loss and deafness. A microphone and transmitter worn on the head and a receiver/stimulator under the skin convert sounds into electrical impulses that reach the cochlear nerve.
- Bone Conduction Device (BCD): A device used when there is damage or a malformation to the outer, middle, or in some cases, the inner ear.
- Custom-made hearing aids: For less severe hearing loss, ear molds are created to specifically fit your child’s ear and a hearing aid selected for their specific needs is ordered.
Experience you can trust
As the only designated children’s hospital in our region, Lehigh Valley Reilly Children’s Hospital provides babies, children and teenagers advanced and comprehensive care. We offer industry-leading audiology and surgical specialists who are dedicated to providing you the best opportunities for improving your child’s hearing.