As families gather for summer celebrations, including Independence Day, sparklers and fireworks are sometimes part of the festivities. But these sparkling and booming devices aren’t necessarily safe for kids or adults. Lehigh Valley Hospital (LVH)–Cedar Crest is home to the Lehigh Valley Health Network (LVHN) Regional Burn Center, where nearly 900 children are treated for fire and burn injuries each year – among them, fireworks-related injuries.
Fireworks Safety Tips from the Burn Prevention Network
Beware of burn hazards posed by firecrackers, rockets and even sparklers
Did you know?
The Burn Prevention Network is a partner to LVHN and other organizations throughout the U.S. to help build awareness about preventable burn injuries. They have important safety reminders about burn prevention when it comes to fireworks:
Tip #1: Avoid burns by wearing safety gloves and protective eyewear.
Tip #2: The tip of a sparkler burns at more than 1,200-degrees F. Children should never handle or light any fireworks, including sparklers.
Tip #3: Fireworks that did not go off can hurt your family. Douse them with water for safety.
Tip #4: Be aware of your municipality’s sound ordinances. Some municipalities have time restrictions for when fireworks may be discharged.
Tip #5: Fireworks should not be discharged within 150 feet of you and your neighbor’s home (and may be restricted by local ordinances in your community).
Tip #6: Pick a safe spot to discharge your fireworks and pay attention to where your fireworks start and land.
Tip #7: Prevent fires and burns by placing used fireworks in a bucket of water. Fireworks stay hot even after the show’s over. Cool them down in water to avoid burns and other injuries.
Tip #8: Fireworks and alcohol don’t mix – designate someone who is sober to take lead on the firework display.