Burning, nagging heartburn symptoms could be affecting you more than you think. At Lehigh Valley Health Network (LVHN), our general surgeons specialize in advanced acid reflux surgery options to treat your symptoms at their source – helping you avoid potential long-term health complications.
What is acid reflux surgery?
If medication and lifestyle changes aren’t keeping your heartburn symptoms in check, your doctor may recommend surgery to better manage your symptoms.
Chronic acid reflux can eventually lead to swallowing problems. It can also lead to changes in your esophagus that may put you at an increased risk for cancer. That’s why it’s so important to manage your symptoms long-term.
New, minimally invasive acid reflux procedures
Surgeons with Lehigh Valley Institute for Surgical Excellence offer two of the newest, least invasive procedures to repair the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the valve that allows stomach acid to pass back into the esophagus.
Transoral incisionless fundoplication (TIF)
Transoral incisionless fundoplication, or TIF for short, represents the next step in management of acid reflux disease (also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease – GERD). The procedure reconstructs the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) and restores the body’s natural protection against reflux.
Benefits of TIF
- TIF is performed through the mouth, meaning there are no incisions.
- A surgeon or gastroenterologist utilizes the EsophyX device to reconstruct the LES valve between the esophagus and the stomach.
- Patients experience a faster recovery, since there is no internal cutting and experience fewer complications than traditional fundoplication surgery.
LINX® Reflux Management System
LINX Reflux Management System uses a small band of magnetic-core titanium beads to reinforce the function of a weak LES. The ring of tiny magnetic beads is wrapped around the junction of the stomach and esophagus (the LES) during a minimally invasive procedure. When a patient swallows food, LINX expands and allows it to enter the stomach. The band then retracts to ensure no stomach acid crosses into the esophagus.
Benefits of LINX
- LINX reduces acid exposure to your esophagus meaning you will be able to reduce or eliminate the use of GERD medications.
- This is a less invasive surgery than standard GERD surgeries.
- You will be able to resume a normal diet following surgery and go home the same day or the next day.
LVHN: The right choice for acid reflux surgery
People choose us for reflux surgery because of our:
Our general surgeons are highly trained in the latest acid reflux treatment options. We can confidently treat both routine and complex cases, with excellent results.
Access and convenience
Our experienced general surgeons practice at multiple locations across our network. We can often accommodate next-day appointments.
Smaller (or no) incisions during surgery mean you see benefits immediately and go home soon after your procedure – sometimes the same day. Our knowledgeable, caring nurse navigator will answer your questions and guide you before, during and after the procedure.