At Lehigh Valley Topper Cancer Institute, your care journey is as unique as you are. Our tumor boards bring together leading experts in all aspects of cancer care to plan and deliver treatments that are right for you.
Tumor boards are groups of cancer providers and other specialists who come together to personalize your care. Our combined expertise along with carefully planned treatments give you the best chances for good results.
Tumor boards at Lehigh Valley Topper Cancer Institute
Tumor boards are part of our commitment to delivering exceptional cancer treatment. You receive coordinated care based on the recommendations of multiple providers, which are tailored to meet your needs. Our tumor boards bring you:
- Innovative treatments: Our team is always thinking ahead. If standard treatments aren’t successful, we discuss additional care options, which may include clinical trials. Through our membership in the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Alliance (MSK Cancer Alliance), you have access to groundbreaking clinical trials.
- Leading-edge care: We quickly adopt new care methods that are demonstrated through research to be safe and effective. Many members of our tumor boards participate in cancer disease management teams where we discuss how to apply these new methods to our care processes. As a result, you receive cancer treatments that are on par with leading cancer programs.
- Coordinated services: We recommend the most promising treatments and our nurse navigators handle all the details. Nurse navigators share your preferences with your care team, answer all of your questions, and help you make appointments.
What are tumor boards?
Our tumor boards come together to create the most direct path toward restoring your well-being. Our approach helps you get the cancer treatments that are best for you right from the start.
Tumor boards at the Cancer Institute include experts in:
- Cancer genetics
- Medical oncology
- Palliative care
- Radiation oncology
- Surgical oncology
Tumor boards available at Lehigh Valley Topper Cancer Institute
During tumor board meetings, we collectively review your medical history, test results, staging and diagnosis. We consider all available treatment options as well as support services to address any challenges you may be facing. The providers create a consensus recommendation about the work up and best options for plan of care.
We maintain tumor boards for many types of cancer we treat, including:
Additional tumor boards and care conferences include:
- Breast cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Ear, nose and throat (head and neck) cancer
- Endocrine cancer
- Gynecologic cancer, including ovarian cancer
- Liver cancer (hepatic/biliary tumor board)
- Lung cancer (pulmonary tumor board)
- Neurologic cancer (brain tumors)
- Skin and soft tissue cancer (melanoma)
- Urologic cancer (prostate, kidney, bladder)
- Adolescent and young adult tumor board
- Hematology and pathology tumor conference for conditions such as leukemia and lymphoma