While we have tried to develop alternate ways to give residents a “feel” for the program through video, photo and live open-house opportunities, we understand that some applicants still wish to visit the area in person. For those who wish to see Schuylkill County in person, we have created a self-guided driving tour (below) which highlights some of what the area has to offer.
While you’re in the neighborhood, be sure to explore Centre Street in downtown Pottsville.
Get a taste of the area at local breweries or wineries.
Black Rock Brewing/SpringGate Winery and Pilger Ruh Brewing are two new additions to the area. The Yuengling Brewery, also known as America’s Oldest Brewery, is just up the road on Mahantongo Street. The area also features a variety of other restaurants and bakeries, including The Crimson House, The Park Tavern and Grille, Rumors, Asian Express, Mama Millies Bakery, Bake Shop VI and Something Sweet Candies. Just off Centre Street, you can find even more options such as Roma Pizzeria, Tres, and The Coney Island (in operation since 1917).
Looking for some wellness options?
Get a workout at the Schuylkill YMCA or Schuylkill Aerial and Wellness, relax by reading a good book over a fresh cup of coffee at Pressed Coffee & Books, or head to Mud & Maker and use your hands while taking a pottery-making class.
Things to do
For entertainment, check out Jerry’s Classic Cars & Collectibles Museum, the Majestic Theater, the Schuylkill County Historical Society or head up to Mahantongo Street for the Yuengling brewery tour. You can also check the schedule at Union Station for bus trips and train excursions.
Some other areas of interest both in and outside of Pottsville include:
- Tuscarora State Park, Barnesville
- Locust Lake State Park, Barnesville
- Sweet Arrow Lake County Park, Pine Grove
- Swatara State Park, Pine Grove
- Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, Kempton
- Rausch Creek Off-Road Park, Pine Grove
- The Walk In Art Center, Schuylkill Haven
- The Arts Barn, Schuylkill Haven
- Schuylkill County Council for the Arts at the Yuengling Mansion, Pottsville
- Yuengling Mansion, Pottsville
- Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine & Steam Train, Ashland
- Museum of Anthracite Mining, Ashland
- Muhammad Ali’s Training Camp, Deer Lake
- Fairlane Village Mall, Pottsville
- Walmart, Saint Clair
- Cressona Mall, Cressona
Amusement Parks/Ski Resorts
- Knoebels Amusement Resort, Elysburg
- Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom, Allentown
- Hersheypark, Hershey
- Blue Mountain Ski Resort, Palmerton
- Bear Creek Mountain Resort, Macungie
- Jack Frost Ski Resort, White Haven
- Big Boulder Ski Resort, Lake Harmony
- The Hamburg Strand Theater, Hamburg
- Cinema & Drafthouse, Hazleton
- Regal Hazleton, Hazleton
- Mahoning Valley Cinema, Lehighton
- Angela Triplex Theatre, Coaldale (temporarily closed)
- Mahoning Drive-In Theater, Lehighton (seasonal)
- Sky-Vu Drive-In Theatre, Lykens (seasonal)
- Hersheypark Stadium, Hershey
- PPL Center, Allentown
- Mohegan Sun Arena, Wilkes-Barre
Grocery Stores and Farmers’ Markets
- Weis/Aldi/Boyer’s, Pottsville
- Giant, Cressona
- Peace Frog Natural, Pottsville (health and wellness)
- Bill’s Produce, Schuylkill Haven
- Renninger’s Farmers Market, Schuylkill Haven
- Stein’s Farm Market, Orwigsburg
- Harding’s Farm Market, Orwigsburg
- Hometown Farmers Market, Hometown
- Anytime Fitness, Pottsville
- Schuylkill YMCA, Pottsville
- Planet Fitness, Cressona
To learn even more about all that Schuylkill County has to offer, please visit Explore Schuylkill either online at https://schuylkill.org/ or in person at 1 Progress Circle, Suite 100, Pottsville, Pa.