Lehigh Valley Health Network’s (LVHN) Gastroenterology Fellowship Program provides innovative, fellow-centered training.
Lehigh Valley Health Network’s (LVHN) Gastroenterology Fellowship Program provides innovative, fellow-centered training. We received initial accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) in June, 2015, and our inaugural class began in July, 2016. The three-year clinical gastroenterology fellowship provides an outstanding opportunity for clinical and academic training. (Right: Anastasia Shnitser, MD, Program Director)
Program highlights include:
- The largest and most advanced provider of health care in the region – LVHN spans eight campuses in Allentown, Bethlehem, Hazleton, Pottsville and East Stroudsburg, totaling more than 1,200 licensed acute care beds. LVHN provides state-of-the-art care in gastrointestinal and liver diseases, with the most advanced endoscopic repertoire in the region (including advanced ERCP, choledochoscopy, therapeutic endoscopic ultrasound, double balloon enteroscopy, radiofrequency ablation and other endoscopic techniques). In that regard, LVHN functions as a major referral center for communities within a 50-mile radius.
- GI patient volumes among the largest in the nation – More than 18,000 endoscopic procedures are performed each year by a dedicated GI faculty. The GI Clinic is a major provider of care for the uninsured and underinsured population for inner-city Allentown, the third most populous region in Pennsylvania.
- Experience with a wide variety of Gastrointestinal Problems – Because of our large patient volumes, advanced endoscopic techniques, dedicated hepatology service and integration with many other outstanding disciplines, LVHN is able to provide a unique educational experience for its trainees. GI Fellows are exposed to an outstanding case-mix as well as leading-edge clinicians and teachers.
- National recognition – The program has a strong commitment to clinical research and contributes multiple presentations annually at both the American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) and Digestive Disease Week (DDW) conferences. The GI division is fully integrated with outstanding network services in medical oncology, surgical oncology, radiation oncology and interventional radiology.
- Devoted, Energetic and Skilled faculty – Our GI division comprises 16 board-certified gastroenterologists with diverse interests and experience, including two advanced endoscopists and two advanced hepatologists.