Leading Edge Cancer Care at Lehigh Valley Topper Cancer Institute
Lehigh Valley Health Network is the only system in the region to continually find new and innovative ways to deliver high-quality care. This is especially evident in the Lehigh Valley Topper Cancer Institute, which offers a wide range of technical innovations.
- Robotic Surgery – LVHN was the first system in the region to perform 14,000 robotic surgery procedures with the da Vinci® S, Si HD, X and Xi Surgical Systems. Today, we are one of just a few health institutions in the world to use the da Vinci single port robotic surgery system.
- Radiosurgery – LVHN has offered radiosurgery since 2004 and was the first in the area to offer the faster, more precise Gamma Knife® Icon™ for brain tumors, metastatic brain lesions or other brain disorders. Learn more.
- SpaceOAR – the Spacing Organs at Risk system – is a recent advance in the treatment of prostate cancer that involves shorter courses of treatment using higher daily doses of radiation while minimizing the risk of rectal injury. Learn more.
- High Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy – This innovation is offered in treating breast, uterine, lung, esophageal, cervical and other cancers. Learn more.
- Advanced Linear Accelerators – We offer Varian Trilogy and True Beam with RapidArc and cone-beam CT and respiratory gating to provide radiation therapy. Learn more.
- PET-CT Precise Diagnostic Testing – This technology provides critical information after a single, quick exam to help your physician diagnose cancer. Learn more.
- 64-Slice CT Scanner – This technology provides unparalleled three-dimensional images of your body. Learn more.
- Digital Mammography, Breast MRI and 3D Tomosynthesis – These technologies provide the highest quality breast images for more accurate diagnosis. Learn more.
- Comprehensive Cancer Risk and Genetic Assessment Program – You can learn about your risk for cancers such as breast, ovarian, uterine, colon-rectal, prostate and melanoma. Learn more
- Varian Edge® with Calypso® tracking system - This technology-leading, minimally invasive stereotactic radiosurgery platform is used to treat a wide range of cancers with incredible precision and accuracy. Learn more
- Respiratory Gating - The process of turning the radiation beam on and off based on when you take a breath. It can be used to treat lung, liver, stomach and pancreatic cancers. Using respiratory gating, your radiation treatment is synchronized to your individual breathing pattern, targeting the tumor only when it is in the optimum range.
- Optical Surface Monitoring System (OSMS) - This is real-time motion management technology. It allows for motion tracking throughout the treatment delivery. It continuously updates the tracking display to show motion in all six degrees of freedom and is viewed throughout the treatment. This technology is used on Stereotactic Body Radiosurgery (SBRT) and Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) cases. These are treatments where a high dose is delivered to a small area and positioning is critical. The technology can also be used to treat breast, head and neck or any variety of case where real-time motion management is beneficial.