Helwig Health and Diabetes Center
Need Immediate Care?
For emergency services, call 911.
For non-emergency walk-in care, try an ExpressCARE location.
Need help scheduling or have a question?
Call 888-402-LVHN (5846).
Individual and small-group education is available for people of all ages to learn practical skills to navigate life with diabetes. Whether you need tips for meal planning or insulin pump training, the registered nurses and dietitians at Helwig Health and Diabetes Center are there to help with the everyday challenges that come with diabetes.
Learn to live well with diabetes
With a variety of classes and individualized counseling offered, you can find a service at Helwig Health and Diabetes Center that fits your needs and your schedule. Sessions include information about:
- Pre-diabetes management – LVHN can help people with pre-diabetes learn how to delay or prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes. You’ll learn about healthy eating and exercising, in addition to receiving information about diabetes and why prevention is so important.
- Type 1 diabetes self-management – Get individualized education on daily lifestyle management strategies for living with type 1 diabetes. This includes:
- Problem-solving and counseling
- Preventing and managing complications
- Intensive insulin therapy management
- Type 2 diabetes self-management education – These sessions cover:
- Diabetes disease process
- Nutrition, meal planning, food shopping and dining out
- Physical activity, exercise and diabetes
- Home blood glucose monitoring
- Preventing short- and long-term complications
- Goal-setting and problem-solving
- Coping and psychosocial adjustment
- Intensive management education – Learn techniques to balance your lifestyle using multiple daily injections or insulin pump.
- Insulin pump training – Get step-by-step instructions if you’re considering, planning or already using an insulin pump. Receive education on basic and advanced features to help with improved blood sugar management and improved quality of life.
- Nutrition counseling – Receive one-on-one nutrition education and advice from a registered dietitian about your specific health concern. We offer individual meal planning and counseling to manage diabetes, kidney disease, cardiac disease, gastrointestinal (GI) issues and more.
- Continuous glucose monitoring – We will show you how to improve your glucose control by evaluating glucose trends not tracked by finger stick alone.
- Support groups – Helwig Health and Diabetes Center offers a variety of groups including: Adults Diabetes Support Group, Insulin Pump Support Group, Sugar-Free Kids Support Group.
- Insulin training for caregivers – We provide education and training for non-licensed caregivers in long-term care facilities.
- Follow-up education – Recommended annually, this program reinforces self-care strategies for blood glucose control, assists with problem-solving and keeps you informed on current available treatments.
Will my insurance cover my visit?
Insurance coverage for diabetes education and nutrition education varies. Medicare Part B, most commercial insurances and medical assistance plans recognize the value of diabetes education and provide some coverage. It is best to check with your insurance providers for specific information about your benefits. Many managed care plans require pre-authorization, which you must obtain from your primary care physician prior to attending. Access to care is not denied due to inability to pay for services.
Scheduling services at Helwig Health and Diabetes Center
A physician referral is needed for most services except our free support groups. After we receive the referral from your physician, we will contact you by mail or phone to schedule your appointment(s). We offer convenient weekday hours and locations, as well as late afternoon and some evening classes and appointments.