Inpatient rehabilitation can seem daunting, but knowing what to expect prepares you for success. At Lehigh Valley Health Network (LVHN), we believe in sharing expectations early to maximize your recovery.
The inpatient rehabilitation process differs in intensity and commitment from outpatient rehabilitation. Rest assured, our rehab providers are with you every step of the way as you work toward achieving your highest level of health and function possible.
Learn more about what our inpatient rehab program involves. This way, you are better prepared to accomplish your goals.
Rebuilding your life after a serious injury or illness is a major task. That’s why our inpatient rehabilitation program is an intensive, 24-hour care process that’s tailored to fit your unique needs and goals.
At LVHN, our comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation program helps maximize your recovery and supports you as you heal from injury or illness. Each personalized plan includes distinct stages designed to help you accomplish your goals:
- Assessment: Your rehab team determines the extent of your injury or illness and creates a plan to help your body work as normally as possible.
- Treatment: Your treatment plan includes a combination of therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational and speech therapy, to help you achieve your goals.
- Education: We help you learn about your condition and what you can expect from the rehabilitation process.
- Follow-up care: We follow-up with you after your inpatient program is complete to make sure your progress doesn’t stop after treatment ends.
Will my insurance cover my rehabilitation?
Most insurance plans and Medicare cover inpatient rehabilitation. Your coverage is verified before you are admitted to an inpatient rehabilitation facility.
How long does rehab take?
Once in inpatient rehabilitation, you receive three hours of therapy each day, for a minimum of five days each week. We customize your rehab treatments to meet your needs and abilities by combining different types of therapies, such as physical therapy and speech language pathology, to help you regain functionality.
What should I bring?
Since inpatient rehabilitation provides 24/7 care, it’s important to bring items from home to make your stay more comfortable. These may include:
- Several changes of clothing, including exercise clothing, bathrobe and pajamas
- Rubber-soled shoes and slippers
- Grooming items, such as a toothbrush and toothpaste, hair brush and shaving equipment
- Hearing aids
- Assistive devices like walkers
Can I have visitors?
Your family and friends are welcome to visit you in any of our inpatient rehabilitation facilities. Caregivers may be asked to participate in your therapy sessions in order to enhance your outcome and prepare you for your return home.
While in our facility, you’ll also have 24/7 access to your rehabilitation care team. Our focus is to boost your physical and emotional health so you can achieve the most independence possible.