Pediatric Pulmonology and Cystic Fibrosis Care
Need Immediate Care?
For emergency services, call 911.
For non-emergency walk-in care, try an ExpressCARE location.
Need help scheduling or have a question?
Call 888-402-LVHN (5846).
Pediatric pulmonologists with Lehigh Valley Reilly Children’s Hospital have three years of specialty training in pediatrics as well as three or more additional years of pulmonology training. Board-certified pediatric pulmonologists have demonstrated their expertise by passing an exam that tests their knowledge of the field.
Your child will receive age-appropriate care delivered by a team of specialists including a certified registered nurse practitioner, registered nurses, respiratory therapists, social workers and registered dietitians. We deliver pulmonary care in both inpatient and outpatient settings.
Breathing disorders your child may experience
Pediatric pulmonologists treat several conditions that affect breathing, working closely with other specialists, such as pediatric allergists, when needed. Conditions we care for include:
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Chronic cough
- Chronic lung disease
- Chronic respiratory failure
- Recurrent pneumonia
- Vocal cord dysfunction
We also provide specialized care for obstructive sleep apnea (a blockage that stops breathing), sleep disorders and cystic fibrosis:
Sleep apnea and sleep disorders
We diagnose, manage and treat kids with sleeping disorders at our Pediatric Sleep Centers. We have the only designated pediatric sleep center in the Lehigh Valley.
Cystic fibrosis (CF)
We have been designated as a Cystic Fibrosis Affiliate Center of The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. This means the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation has recognized us for delivering leading-edge, multidisciplinary care to children with CF.
Diagnosing pulmonary disorders
Lehigh Valley Reilly Children’s Hospital pediatric pulmonologists use specialized tests to help them diagnose conditions. This is important because kids may have difficulty describing their condition or accurately answering questions. We offer the following diagnostic tests:
- Sweat chloride testing for cystic fibrosis, in the region’s only accredited sweat test laboratory
- Flexible bronchoscopy, which is the insertion of a viewing instrument that is also capable of collecting tissue or mucus samples
- Pulmonary function testing to determine how well your child’s lungs perform
- Sleep studies in private, home-like rooms to record physical activity during sleep, including body functions such as breathing patterns and heart rhythm
Treatments for CF, sleep disorders and breathing disorders
With an accurate diagnosis, we can deliver appropriate treatments, including:
- Lifestyle modification like dietary change and exercise
- Medications, oral or inhaled
- Antibiotics to treat infection
- Breathing treatments
- Assistive breathing devices like continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines
- Mechanical ventilation
- Chest physiotherapy, exercises that move mucus out of the lungs to improve breathing
A respiratory therapist delivers many of the above treatments. Lehigh Valley Reilly Children’s Hospital respiratory therapists have extra training to care for children. The National Board for Respiratory Care certifies that they are qualified to provide specialized pediatric respiratory care in the neonatal intensive care unit, pediatric intensive care unit, inpatient pediatric unit, pediatric pulmonology clinic and Children’s ER.
In some cases, surgery to remove airway blockages, such as tonsillectomy, may help alleviate symptoms associated with breathing disorders. In these cases, we may refer you to a pediatric ear, nose and throat (ENT, otolaryngology) specialist.