If your child swallows a small battery or magnet, emergency care is essential.
It’s not uncommon for young children to put things in their mouths and even swallow them. In some instances, this can be a minor nuisance for parents. However, in other cases, what your child swallows can be very dangerous.
Two common household items – button batteries and rare earth magnets – can cause severe injury and lead to dangerous medical complications if swallowed and not caught quickly.
“Both button batteries and rare earth magnets are small and shiny – a dangerous combination that can tempt a child to put them in their mouth,” says pediatric hospitalist Richard Mazzaccaro, MD, with Lehigh Valley Reilly Children’s Hospital. “While parents might not know the moment their child swallows them, as soon as they notice something is wrong or these items are missing, they should go right to the emergency room.”