October isn’t only for fall festivities and spooky thrills. It’s also Breast Cancer Awareness Month – the perfect time to learn more about this condition and find out when you should begin getting screened for it.
Kicking Off Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Now is the perfect time to learn about breast cancer risk factors, screening guidelines and events including Pink Out
It is recommended that individuals born biologically female who are 40 and older get a mammogram once a year.
However, if you are at high risk for developing breast cancer, you may be advised to start getting screened sooner. Depending on your family history, your physician may recommend genetic testing to evaluate your risk further.
While screening mammograms aren’t something anyone looks forward to, they are incredibly important and can detect breast cancer that can’t be felt during self-exams. It’s important to remember that the temporary discomfort you feel during a mammogram is worth it because it could save your life.
Mammography at LVHN
At Lehigh Valley Topper Cancer Institute, our Breast Health Services mammography team performs more than 79,000 mammograms each year. Our team members are experts in this area, and if needed, will connect you to our world-class breast cancer specialists for continued evaluation or treatment.
Individuals 40 and older can schedule their annual screening mammogram conveniently through MyLVHN after logging into their account.
To do so:
- Click the calendar icon and then "Schedule an appointment"
- Select "Screening Mammogram" from the list of options and complete the questions to schedule your appointment
There are various events taking place for Breast Cancer Awareness Month in our community. Take a look at a few listed below:
- Pink Light Walk: Thursday, Oct. 5, in East Stroudsburg, Pa.
- Women’s 5K Classic: Saturday, Oct. 7, in Allentown, Pa.
- Lehigh Valley Health Network (LVHN)’s Ladies’ Night: Live Q&A for Women’s Health: Monday, Oct. 9, on LVHN’s Facebook Page
- Pink Out at The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley: Thursday, Oct. 12, in Center Valley, Pa.