Mothers who receive early prenatal care may have stronger, healthier babies and reduce the risk for premature deliveries. Healthy Beginnings Plus, a state-funded prenatal program provided through Lehigh Valley Hospital (LVH)–Hazleton, is designed to do just that – help ensure that mothers who are eligible for Medical Assistance get the expert medical care necessary to have a happy and healthy baby.
The Healthy Beginnings Plus health care team consists of a board-certified OB-GYN, registered nurse midwife, nurse care coordinators, registered dietitians and social workers. Because Healthy Beginnings Plus is part of LVH–Hazleton, you can be assured that all the services you will need to make this a wonderful experience will be available to you.
There are specific guidelines to determine if you are eligible for this program under Medical Assistance. The income guidelines for Medical Assistance are higher for pregnant women than for the general population. Therefore, you may not realize that you are eligible for Healthy Beginnings Plus. Call us and we will be happy to help you complete an application for Medical Assistance.
You will give birth to your baby at LVH–Hazleton’s Family Birth and Newborn Center. Healthy Beginnings Plus covers all hospital services for you and your baby. The Family Birth and Newborn Center is a beautiful, modern, secure maternity unit with a home-like atmosphere designed for the comfort of expectant and new parents. Highly skilled nurses and support staff will provide you and your baby high-quality maternity care.
- Prenatal medical care visits by an on-site OB–GYN or registered nurse midwife and registered nurse
- Intensive and extensive prenatal care for a high-risk pregnancy
- Nutrition information and counseling for you and your baby
- Free prenatal education classes including childbirth, breastfeeding, parenting, sibling preparation and infant CPR
- Home care and social worker visits
- On-site laboratory and ultrasound testing
- Free transportation arrangements to scheduled appointments
- Prenatal vitamins
- Help in applying for medical assistance
- Drug and alcohol abuse counseling
- Smoking cessation assistance
- Spanish translation services
Through the Healthy Beginnings Plus program, health and wellness care continues to be available to you and your baby until your baby is 8 weeks
old. We strongly encourage you to attend your follow-up appointments to address any health concerns about your baby or yourself after giving birth. In addition, a home health nurse may visit you at home to answer any questions you may have about your baby or being a new parent.