Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the silent killer. The odorless and colorless gas is a byproduct of fuel-burning appliances, such as gas-powered generators or fuel-burning camp stoves, lanterns, gas grills or portable heaters. These items should never be used indoors or in unventilated spaces such as a basement or an enclosed garage.
“Most carbon monoxide poisoning cases happen during colder months,” says Gillian Beauchamp, MD, Vice Chair, Emergency Medicine, Medical Toxicology, LVHN. “Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs due to improperly ventilated appliances or engines, or running a space heater or generator in a tightly sealed enclosed space. Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to serious illness and even death if not caught.”