A lung cancer diagnosis may leave you bracing for the worst. But experts at the Cancer Institute offer a world of possibilities.
We deliver complete lung cancer care so you can receive more of the services you need close to home. From early detection to sophisticated treatments for complex cancers, we deliver a level of care you’ll only find in leading lung cancer programs.
About lung cancer
Lung cancer happens when cells in the lungs’ tissue grow abnormally. You may face a higher risk of lung cancer if you have a history of tobacco use, or have been exposed to radon gas, asbestos, or other inhaled carcinogens. Symptoms of lung cancer include:
- A cough that doesn’t go away and gets worse with time
- Difficulty breathing, wheezing or shortness of breath
- Chest pain when taking a deep breath, laughing or coughing
- Hoarse voice
Lung cancer care at Lehigh Valley Cancer Institute
Highlights of our program include:
- Early detection: We offer tests to detect the first signs of lung cancer when treatment is more likely to be successful. Read more about lung cancer screening.
- Precise care: Genetic testing helps us learn more about the genetic makeup of the cancer, so you receive the most effective treatment. Get more information about genetic testing for cancer.
- Access to clinical trials: For difficult-to-treat lung cancers, you have access to additional care options through clinical trials. Learn about cancer research and clinical trials.
- A multidisciplinary clinic (MDC) team approach to your care. You will have access to doctors and support staff who understand the facets of your condition, and can provide you with the information you need to make important decisions. The MDC team includes doctors and advanced practice clinicians who know and understand your condition. They represent treatment specialties such as surgical oncology, medical oncology and radiation oncology. This team, as well as a nurse navigator, will explain any unfamiliar terms to you and help you understand your diagnosis and treatment options.
Exceptional lung cancer care at Lehigh Valley Cancer Institute
Clinical trials have made it possible to successfully treat people with complex cancers – some of whom have been told they have only one year to live. Read Jonathan Gyuran's story.
Lung cancer treatments we offer
Our multidisciplinary clinic gets your treatment off to a good start by allowing you to see multiple lung cancer experts in one visit. You leave with a treatment plan tailored to meet your unique needs. Find out more about our multidisciplinary cancer clinics. Your care may include:
Minimally invasive procedures
We access cancers in hard-to-reach areas using GPS technology and sophisticated surgical tools we can slide down your throat (navigational bronchoscopy).
Innovative surgical techniques
We use the latest surgical technologies, including robotic surgery, to remove cancer with a high degree of accuracy. Read more about robotic surgery.
Cancer drugs (chemotherapy)
You have access to today’s best available chemotherapy drugs. Our cancer experts recommend the drugs that are best for your circumstances and tailor the doses to help you achieve excellent results. Get more information about chemotherapy.
We perform genetic testing to learn more about the cancer at a molecular level. We then prescribe drugs and other substances that prevent molecules within the cancer cells from growing. Read more about targeted therapy.
We safely get rid of cancer using beams of energy (X-rays) and other substances. Our offerings include respiratory gating, which locks radiation beams on the precise location of the cancer even as you breathe. Find out more about radiation therapy.