Cancer Nutrition Services
Need Immediate Care?
For emergency services, call 911.
For non-emergency walk-in care, try an ExpressCARE location.
Need help scheduling or have a question?
Call 888-402-LVHN (5846).
Cancer and the side effects of cancer treatment can change your relationship with food. Many people have trouble eating and lose weight while some gain unwanted pounds. Our dedicated dietitians help you maintain a healthy weight and lower your risk of complications with a personalized nutrition plan.
Cancer nutrition at Lehigh Valley Cancer Institute
In addition to cancer treatment, proper nutrition can help you feel your best. Our dietitians participate in tumor board meetings where doctors and other specialists tailor care to meet your needs. Find out more about tumor boards.
We offer nutrition services to help you have a good quality of life during and after cancer treatment.
Personalized cancer nutrition therapy
Your body needs certain foods and other substances to function. We help you get the nutrients you need with a personalized nutrition plan. Our dietitians work with you to include foods you like to eat and that are easy to prepare. Your nutrition plan may include:
- Carbohydrates from foods such as vegetables and whole-grain bread to give you energy for physical activity and normal organ functioning
- Dietary supplements, such as multivitamins, to help you get more of the nutrients you need
- Fat from healthy sources, including vegetable oil and some seafood, which helps protect your organs and transports vitamins to other areas of the body
- Protein, which helps your body repair tissue and protect you against illness
- Water and other drinks to prevent dehydration if you are experiencing vomiting or diarrhea
Our dietitians also provide you with helpful tips, such as:
- Getting the fluids you need from water-packed fruits, such as watermelon, if the taste of water becomes unappealing
- Using spices to give your food more flavor if it tastes bland
- Teaching you how to prepare foods that are unfamiliar to you
- Fitting healthy eating into your busy schedule
Liquid nutrition plans for people with cancer
If you are not able to get the nutrients you need from eating solid foods, we may recommend extra nutritional support. This treatment helps you get the protein, carbohydrates and other nutrients you need in liquid form. Nutritional support therapies include:
- Supplemental nutrition shakes: You drink a slightly sweetened shake instead of or in addition to the foods you are able to eat.
- Feeding tube (enteral nutrition): If you cannot take food by mouth, we deliver liquid nutrition through a tube that is surgically place in your intestines.
- Parenteral nutrition: If your intestines are not working, we deliver liquid nutrition through an intravenous or IV line, which is a small tube placed in a vein.
If you would like to request an appointment with an oncology dietitian, please call 888-402-LVHN (5846).