Welcome to the Family Birth and Newborn Center at Lehigh Valley Hospital–Muhlenberg
In 2016, Lehigh Valley Health Network (LVHN) was privileged to open the Family Birth and Newborn Center at Lehigh Valley Hospital (LVH)–Muhlenberg (South Entrance), our labor and childbirth unit in Bethlehem, which offers maternity care services and convenience for our patients in surrounding communities.
With an opportunity to build a new space with updated safety and comfort features for our valued patients, we created a modern hospital unit that looks and feels more like home. The family-centered environment at the Family Birth and Newborn Center at LVH–Muhlenberg makes your special event even more wonderful. Patients and parents-to-be are encouraged to visit the new birth center at any time to see this beautiful space designed based on feedback from our patients.
Every birth is special at the Family Birth and Newborn Center at LVH–Muhlenberg. We feel fortunate to be trusted to care for you and your baby. We are committed to providing mother, newborn and family with excellence in maternity and newborn care in a welcoming environment. Our highly skilled team of physicians and nurses work together to make your birth experience the safe, personalized and joyous event you have imagined. Our team of health care professionals are dedicated partners who provide compassionate, individualized and round-the-clock quality care. This team has the expertise to give our patients the best experience and best possible outcome.
Your core maternity care team: Obstetricians, nurses and resident physicians
- Obstetricians – You will see your LVPG Obstetrics and Gynecology (OB-GYN) physicians in the office for prenatal care and in the hospital for labor and childbirth.
- Nurses – Our dedicated nurses provide bedside care focused on you.
- Resident physicians – Resident physicians (residents) are completing advanced training in obstetrics. They provide beneficial support to the whole team.
Support for high-risk pregnancy
If you have a high-risk condition or a medical complication of pregnancy, our maternal fetal medicine specialists are on-call 24-hours a day to provide high-risk pregnancy care. Maternal fetal medicine physicians are nationally recognized specialists managing medical complications of pregnancy and higher risk patients. They support the core team.
Maternal fetal medicine physicians care for all obstetric patients needing advanced care through specialty clinics that are only available at LVHN:
- Diabetes in Pregnancy Program
- Comprehensive Diabetes in Pregnancy Program
- Heart Disease and Pregnancy Program
- Pregnancy Hypertension and Kidney Care Program
- Neurology and Pregnancy Program
- Prenatal Diagnosis and Treatment Program (comprehensive genetic program)
- Center for Multiple Gestations
Neonatal intensive care unit
The Level II neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at LVH–Muhlenberg expertly treats premature babies born between 32-35 weeks gestational age. If a baby needs more complex care services provided by the Level IV NICU located at Lehigh Valley Reilly Children’s Hospital on the campus of LVH–Cedar Crest, you can rely on safe, free and secure transportation rapidly arranged to transport mother and baby from Bethlehem to the Children’s Hospital in Allentown. For family members who may be unable to be with their baby in the NICU, LVHN offers BabyCam, a live-stream, secure and private video feed of their child so you can see your infant 24/7.
While you are at the Family Birth and Newborn Center at LVH–Muhlenberg
- 24-hour anesthesia services
- Operative services
- Fetal monitoring 24 hours per day
- Advanced security for you and your baby
Amenities and support
LVH–Muhlenberg offers full Wi-Fi access to give you more flexibility to shape your ideal birth experience. Private rooms provide comfortable seating and sleeping for your support partner. You also may follow your medical care through our secure MyLVHN portal available on your in-room iPad. And there’s so much more:
- Your maternity care core team is with you around the clock. We promise uninterrupted care during shift changes within the team. We make sure you are introduced to physicians who come in to take over your continuing care during your stay. Our goal is to help you feel confident and satisfied during your stay and to make sure you know our obstetricians.
- Comfort measures during labor and delivery including hydrotherapy, birthing balls and more.
Learn about labor, delivery and more
We help you prepare for a newborn – even if it is not your first child – starting during your prenatal care:
- During your pregnancy, register for our childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting classes
Support and in-hospital classes are offered to help with your transition home:
- After delivery, we offer breastfeeding support and education and comprehensive feeding support whether you choose to breast- or formula-feed your baby. We support your feeding preference.
- Postpartum and baby-care classes and videos are provided before discharge.
Should you have any questions or wish to make an appointment with an LVPG OB-GYN, please call us at 888-402-LVHN (5846).