Lehigh Valley Hospital–Cedar Crest
LVH-Cedar Crest ER offers:
- Comprehensive trauma, burn and neurology emergency services, 24/7
- MI Alert for Heart Attacks and Stroke Alert programs designed to deliver fast, gold-standard care for the best outcomes possible.
- The Walter J. and June H. Okunski Burn Recovery Center is Pennsylvania’s largest burn center and is verified to treat adults and children
- A quick care area for patients with less severe injuries, like fractures or cuts
Emergency medicine for heart attack
If you are experiencing heart attack symptoms, including chest pain, shortness of breath or pain in your arms, neck, jaw or back – call 911.
Lehigh Valley Heart Institute consistently ranks among the nation’s leaders in heart attack survival. Our MI Alert for Heart Attacks program saves lives and limits the amount of heart damage by educating area paramedics and emergency medical technicians (EMTs) to diagnose heart attacks in the field.
If you’re suffering from a heart attack, paramedics will immediately begin treatment and call ahead to alert our emergency medicine providers of your arrival.
Emergency care for stroke
Every second counts when it comes to stroke. Fast, aggressive care minimizes brain damage by ensuring adequate blood flow to the brain. That’s why you should always remember BE FAST. This acronym will help you remember the signs of a stroke and that you should act quickly.
- Balance – Sudden loss of balance
- Eyes – Blurred vision in one or both eyes
- Face – Face drooping or looks uneven
- Arms – One arm becomes weak or numb
- Speech – Slurred speech or seems confused
- Time – If you or someone you know is experiencing these symptoms, call 911 immediately.
LVH–Cedar Crest is a Certified Comprehensive Stroke Center that provides rapid diagnosis of the type of stroke, targeted therapies – such as clot busting medication (intravenous thrombolytic) or interventional clot retrieval. We have been recognized by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award.
Should your child need emergency care, Lehigh Valley Hospital–Cedar Crest is home to the region’s only Children’s ER. Our board-certified pediatric emergency physicians, along with board-certified emergency physicians, are prepared to care for your child in a caring and child-friendly environment.
We are COVID-SAFE and ready, 24/7.
We offer COVID-SAFE care. That means extraordinary measures are being taken to provide proper screening, triage and cleaning to keep you safe.
About the Children’s ER
Children’s ER treats about 20,000 children each year. This 12-bed facility is the only acute care facility within a 60-mile radius of LVH–Cedar Crest that is designed for children.
Children’s ER is staffed by people who specialize in pediatric care:
- Board-certified pediatric emergency physicians
- Advanced practice clinicians experienced in pediatric care
- Nurses who are specially trained in pediatric emergency nursing
- Pediatric pharmacists for medication dosing
- Child-life specialists, who work to make the hospital experience less stressful
We focus on your child
When your child is experiencing an emergency illness or injury, we not only focus on helping them on the path to recovery, we also help them feel calm. To do that, we have:
- A dedicated pediatric waiting room to eliminate the anxiety children may feel seeing sick or injured adults
- Books, iPads and age-appropriate activities for patients and families in each of our private exam rooms
- Pain management methods such as “laughing gas” (nitrous oxide) and creams to numb the site of a needle stick
- Bubbles, music, movies or sugar-coated pacifiers to distract children and help them manage anxiety
- Interactive video displays on the walls and floors of the waiting room and treatment areas that help keep children entertained
- Fun, child-friendly décor, including a 7-foot-tall Ferris wheel made of K’Nex building blocks.
Our team is dedicated to helping you and your child during a medical emergency, and will treat your youngster with kindness and compassion.