Join us for a facility tour of our Family Birth and Newborn Center at Lehigh Valley Hospital–Cedar Crest. During this facility tour we will review where to go and what to expect during your hospital stay.Register online
Welcome to the Family Birth and Newborn Center at Lehigh Valley Hospital–Cedar Crest, the region’s leader in maternity care services
Every birth is special. At the Family Birth and Newborn Center at Lehigh Valley Hospital (LVH)–Cedar Crest, we feel fortunate to be trusted to care for you and your baby. As the leader in complete management of pregnancy and delivery care services, your safety and comfort are top priorities. We are committed to providing mother, newborn and family with excellence in maternity and newborn care in a welcoming environment. Our highly skilled team of physicians, midwives and nurses work together to make your birth experience the safe, personalized and joyous event you have imagined.
If you have a high-risk condition or a medical complication of pregnancy, our maternal fetal medicine specialists are always available to you. We also offer the region’s highest level IV neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) in case your baby needs more intensive, specialized care. And Lehigh Valley Reilly Children’s Hospital, the region’s only children’s hospital for comprehensive pediatric services, is located right here, too.
LVH–Cedar Crest also offers convenient services and amenities such as valet parking, comfortable seating and sleep accommodations for your birth partner and educational videos for your transition home. You can also view your medical records through our secure patient portal, MyLVHN.
- We are about “choice.” Your options and preferences. Your birth plan. Your personal experience.
- Our team of health care professionals are dedicated partners who provide compassionate, individualized and round-the-clock quality care. This team has the expertise to give our patients the best experience and best possible outcome.
Your core maternity care team: Obstetricians, laborists, midwives, nurses and resident physicians
- Obstetricians – You will see your LVPG Obstetrics and Gynecology (OB-GYN) physicians in the office for prenatal care and in the hospital for labor and childbirth.
- Laborists – Our laborists are obstetrician-gynecologists who work full-time in the hospital with LVPG OB-GYN providers. Laborists exclusively treat women in labor, perform deliveries and respond to obstetric emergencies.
- Midwives – Our certified nurse-midwives are medical providers with LVPG OB-GYN who care for a women’s health with a special focus on providing personalized care throughout each stage of pregnancy including prenatal care visits and uncomplicated deliveries.
- Nurses – Our dedicated nurses provide bedside care focused on you.
- Resident physicians – Resident physicians (residents) are completing advanced training in obstetrics. They provide beneficial support to the whole team.
Options and preferences
The Family Birth and Newborn Center at LVH–Cedar Crest offers unique options for all pregnancies – low-risk and high-risk – because we offer you choices unavailable anywhere else in the region.
- We work with you to determine the best form of pain control.
- We welcome and encourage partners and support persons to participate in this lifetime event.
- Overnight accommodations are available for partners.
- Midwives offer the option of “holistic” care (medical and emotional support) throughout pregnancy and during labor for low-risk mothers.
- Midwifery care options also give you the reassurance that in cases where clinical assistance is needed, obstetricians are immediately available to all patients.
Support for high-risk pregnancy
If you have a high-risk condition or a medical complication of pregnancy, our maternal fetal medicine specialists are on-call 24-hours a day to provide high-risk pregnancy care. Maternal fetal medicine physicians are nationally recognized specialists managing medical complications of pregnancy and higher risk patients. They support the core team.
Maternal fetal medicine physicians care for all obstetric patients needing advanced care through specialty clinics that are only available at LVHN:
- Diabetes in Pregnancy Program
- Comprehensive Diabetes in Pregnancy Program
- Heart Disease and Pregnancy Program
- Pregnancy Hypertension and Kidney Care Program
- Neurology and Pregnancy Program
- Prenatal Diagnosis and Treatment Program (comprehensive genetic program)
- Center for Multiple Gestations
Neonatal intensive care unit
The Level IV neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at Lehigh Valley Reilly Children’s Hospital, located on the campus of LVH–Cedar Crest, provides the highest level of NICU care in the region. We care for babies born at all ages and weights, as well as infants who have critical illnesses. Neonatal surgery is available on-site.
For family members who may be unable to be with their baby in the NICU, LVHN offers BabyCam, a live-stream, secure and private video feed of their child so you can see your infant 24/7.
While you are at the Family Birth and Newborn Center at LVH–Cedar Crest
- 24-hour anesthesia services
- Operative services
- Fetal monitoring 24 hours per day
- Advanced security for you and your baby
Amenities and support
LVH–Cedar Crest offers full Wi-Fi access to give you more flexibility to shape your ideal birth experience. Private rooms provide comfortable seating and sleeping for your support partner. You also may follow your medical care through our secure MyLVHN portal available on your in-room iPad. And there’s so much more:
- Your maternity care core team is with you around the clock. We promise uninterrupted care during shift changes within the team. We make sure you are introduced to physicians who come in to take over your continuing care during your stay. Our goal is to help you feel confident and satisfied during your stay and to make sure you know our obstetricians and midwives.
- Comfort measures are available during labor and delivery including hydrotherapy, birthing balls and more.
Learn about labor, delivery and more
We help you prepare for a newborn – even if it is not your first child – starting during your prenatal care:
- During your pregnancy, register for our childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting classes
Support and in-hospital classes are offered to help with your transition home:
- After delivery, our lactation specialists offer breastfeeding support and education and comprehensive feeding support whether you choose to breast- or formula-feed your baby. We have earned Baby-Friendly designation and support your feeding preference.
- Postpartum and baby-care classes and videos are provided before discharge.
Should you have any questions or wish to make an appointment with an LVPG OB-GYN, please call us at 888-402-LVHN (5846).